Thursday, September 29, 2022

She Who Lurks

 

There is a challenge going around on Twitter to write an interesting role-playing game in 20 words or less.

I came up with a simple d6 system, highly abbreviated given the word count limitation.

I took some inspiration from RPG Pundit's Gnome Murdered and decided that one result on the table would kill a character and turn whatever game you were playing into a horror game.

In the name of creating an implied setting, I had the death result be caused by something called "She who Lurks", and hoped that would make it maximally interesting.

Russ from Yum/DM said he likes the notion, but I would do it as a 2d6 system. So, for an additional Lark today, I'm going to create an "Advanced" She Who Lurks, just for the fun of it. I have constrained myself to a single two-sided piece of paper. 

The game is very much borrowing its ideas from the storygames genre, and like most rules-light games, it doesn't offer a lot in the way of history. It presupposes you know what "3d6" means and how to narrate the game.

But, as far as it goes, I am pretty happy with the outcome:

She Who Lurks

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hah!

      I'll save that for when I completely lose my mind and decide to write a romance hack of this system.

      Delete