Lets move from magic and the planes to technology. Some of the cultures of the Drowned World make up for a lack of magical ability by turning to technology.
Evolved to Engineer
I how did the idea into the background of the Drowned World that another deity showed compassion to the people and change them to suit the environments they needed to survive in during the flood. The windlass, stranded on mountain tops and high hoodoos above an ancient desert were gifted with the power of invention and creativity to help solve their problems, as well as a tiny frame and slow metabolism.
These engineers had the tech to my campaign world, which will be very monapunk in its nature, and there won't be too much of it.
Forced by the floods onto the high spires of the mesa of Vendak, these slender, delicate people have become gifted engineers; powering their homes with magitech, and traveling from community to community on personal flying machines.
The Windlass are the only people to develop firearm technology outside of the Scorched Order, and keep peace with them by refusing to share it. Their flint-lock weapons are way behind the cased ammunition of the Scorched. What their guns lach in sophistication, their other machines, such as the light clockwork ornithopters that they can fly on for a couple of hours per day.
Windlass can repair or reverse-engineer any piece of tech that requires no magic, and is not completely obliterated.
The Wobun are a race who live in the vast dismal swamps of Wob, they are masters of medicine, poison, and explosives. They have, to a one, a dry, black sense of humour.
HD: D6 ● Requirements: INT 9 DEX 9 ● Attack as: Magic User ● Save As: Magic User ●
Special: Alchemy, Toxin Resistance ● Armor: leather ●
Weapons: crossbow, dagger, dart, staff, sling, grenade-like weapon
- Minor curative - heals 1d4hp
- Antitoxin - grant a +4 to Saves vs. Disease or Poison for 1 hour.
- Antidote - this neutralizes a specific poison that the Wobun knows or has had 1 day to study using an alchemical kit.
- Bomb - deal 2d4 damage as a grenade-like weapon
- Fragmentation Bomb - deal 1d6 damage to all targets in a 10’ radius
- Smoke Bomb - create a cloud of vision-blocking smoke in a 15’ radius for 10 rounds
- Stink Bomb - create a cloud of choking gas; anyone caught in a 15’ radius cannot act for 3 rounds after leaving the cloud, which lingers for 6 rounds.
- Tangle Bag - entangles one target.
- Flashbang - A bright flash and loud noise renders everyone in a 30’ radius blind for 1d3 rounds if they fail a Save vs. Wands.
- Choking Fume - A toxic fume blown into the face of a target within 10’ renders it unable to speak for 3 turns unless they Save vs. Poison.
- Knockout Fume - A toxic fume blown into the face of a target within 10’ knocks it unconscious for 1 hour unless it Saves vs. Poison.
- Hallow Fume - Repel undead and fiendish creature in a 20’ cone in front of you as if using Turn Undead.
- Madness Fume - A toxic fume blown into the face of a target within 10’ causes confusion for 3d4 rounds if they fail a Save vs. Poison
- Rust Fume - A toxic fume blown on a piece of armor, metal object, or weapon within 10’ causes it to rust instantly. An owner may Save vs. Wands to save the item.
- Smudge - treat oneself with smoke from this bottle to gain the effects or protection from evil.
- Nifl Oil - Grant one target protection from cold for 8 hours.
- Muspel Oil - Grant one target protection from fire for 8 hours.
- Dorr Oil - Grant one target protection from lightning for 8 hours.
- Blade Venom - Treat a bladed weapon, deals an additional 1d8 damage on the next 3 attacks.
- Repellant - A fumigant that drives off insects and vermin within 10ft. Of the person bathed in the smoke for 8 hours.